Friday, October 15, 2010

T-Mobile G2 ... Poor reception

I picked up the T-Mobile G2 today.  I was hesitant because my Nexus One (N1), also on a T-Mobile plan, sucks at home for reception.  However, on the same T-Mo plan, my G1 gets pretty darn good reception.  Since the G2 is closer in appearance to the N1, I was concerned that it, too, will have crap reception.  Fast forward an hour after closing the deal.  I get home and the G2 reception sucks.  I put the same SIM card into the ancient, but trusty, G1, and reception is good.  I put the SIM card in the N1, and the reception sucks.  Suffice it to say, HTC antennas after the G1 just plain SUCK.  Yeah, some might say the G2 is bad because of the new HSPA protocol, but then why does the N1 (an Edge / 3GS) phone also have poor reception.  I think it's a physical antenna issue, much like the iPhone fiasco earlier this year.  What a bummer.  The phone seems cool and feels good.  If it doesn't improve in a few days, I'll return it within the 15 return period.

G1: Good reception on Edge and 3G at my house
N1: Bad reception on all bands at my house
G2: Bad reception on all bands (While driving around, there were some good HSPA zones)

Afterthought:

I've read about rumors of a G2 OTA update that might include a call-over-wifi (i.e., SIP, VOIP) app.  Honestly, T-Mobile has such a bad rap for crappy coverage, they should just offer voip capabilities on their phones.  With wifi at home and nearly everywhere, at least I could make & receive phone calls.  Otherwise, my T-Mobile phone is nothing more than a small, handheld web device and media player.

Follow-up:

Look at the complaints of zero bars of reception for T-Mobile customers at www.cellreception.com for the area I live in (south Orange County, CA).  T-Mobile's nearest towers per www.cellrecption.com are about 10 miles north.  If that's the case, why does T-Mobile even bother selling phone plans in this area?  Greed and deception.   Seeing as T-Mobile has no towers near me, I'll likely just cancel mine and my wife's T-Mobile plans and move on to Verizon or AT&T.  GSM is useless without cell towers.

Follow-up (Dec 29, 2010):
Around November 12, 2010, my G2 got a T-Mo OTA update that included the Wifi Calling app.  Sure, you still have to consider that the talk minutes add up (as if you are making a cellular call), but it is pretty damn reliable.  I use it with my wireless over WPA2/PSK on a D-Link Dir-655 router.  Works like a charm.  Doesn't work with Google Voice, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment