Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sony Vegas 9.0e Render Memory Issue

This is my experience with Sony Vegas 9.0e Pro.  My PC is a Intel Quad CPU Q6600, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64bit.  I recently upgraded to Vegas 9.0e.  I have 1920x1080 30p MOV files from a Canon T2i that I put into a Vegas project.  Just about any format I render to results in a low memory error, even though the system is not low on memory.  Error dialog reports:

An error occurred while creating the media file <foo>.
The system is low on memory.  You may be able to reduce memory usage by closing other applications.


Problem is, no other apps are open.  Yet, FileIOSurrogate.exe is taking 1.3 GB of memory.  Some people claim it's the Sony Vegas FileIOSurrogate.exe, a 32bit app.  This is some hack proxy crap that Sony Vegas engineers designed and created so that Vegas can pose as a 64bit app.  Basically, Sony Vegas appears to run as a 64bit app, but all file access (to the video files) is through FileIOSurrogate.exe, which is a 32bit app, and thus has the 2GB memory limit.  I've always had great luck with Sony Vegas Pro, but it's now a piece of crap.  I think Sony has done this as a tactic to get people to upgrade to the recently released version 10.  I'd like to think Sony is a better company than that, at least the software engineers, but it's ultimately business people that run it.  Most engineers write code according to a rather high set of personal quality standards, while the business folks run great ideas and products into the ground in order to make a quick buck or preserve their own positions.  Sony is completely quiet on this issue, yet it's all over the video forums.

No comments:

Post a Comment