Friday, February 25, 2011

Remember the Yumbo at Burger King

Back in the 1980s, I think, Burger King had an awesome sandwich called the Yumbo.  It was a big, fluffy enriched white bread flour bun stuffed with a pile of steamed ham smothered in crappy American cheese.  It was AWESOME.  It was the YUMBO.  Then, since all good things must come to an end, so did the Yumbo.  This website In the 80's has a page dedicated to the Yumbo.  Some forum posters say the Yumbo still exists, but with an egg.  I'll go check that out sometime.  I've not been to BK in probably 5 years.

Today, in our home, we happened to have something that we never usually have: a loaf of enriched white bread (which we never have).  In addition, we already had some really salty razor-thin sliced ham, and a bag of pre-shredded cheese.  Now, I know a Yumbo requires pre-sliced American cheese product (or maybe Velveta), but this combo will do.  May you drool in delight.



I didn't pile the ham as high as the historic Yumbo, because the ham is kind of expensive.  Also, the lack of American cheese is a bummer.  I made it by placing the ham and bread in a frying pan at really low heat.  The bread got nice and soggy with the flavor of ham.  Then I dumped the cheese on and let it warm up a bit longer.  Overall, it was great, but nothing like a real Yumbo.  I can only dream about that.




I wish I was cruising down Main Street in an 1976 AMC Pacer while eating my Yumbo.  That'd be BOMB!

No comments:

Post a Comment